Friday 16 January 2009

Some quotes from a friend

This is some quotes from a friend I hardly see nowadays (I'm in London, he's in the States) but I think about all the time. Hope you enjoy:)

There is just a special energy in certain places in the world.

It pays to be a bit of a poor bum at least for one year in one‘s life though, so you can smell the roses and begin to live deliberately!

In America, most people say, "Support our troops". I say, "Fuck you"!

In America, 90 percent of those working in philosophy think I'm gloomy. How can a philosopher not be gloomy? Who can adjust to this injustice? My only mission in life is to never adjust to our world's injustice. Of course I often fail, but it is my goal anyway.

It's nice to get in bed with a book and find more friends.

Life is communication(in all its many forms) and communication is always a loving struggle.

You and I and several others, let's start our own intellectual international community. We can dedicate our lives to freedom and against the tyranny of power... to create a "planet-wide inclusivist community"(Richard Rorty).

I remember when I was about ten years old, my dad took me to a big meeting of crazy religious leaders, and I'll never forget one preacher saying this, "When you lose the tears in your eyes, you have lost your calling and should get out of the church". The only great thing I've heard crazy religious people say in my life I think.

My goals are not what I would call modest, but they are certainly tempered with a decided despair and realism.

Any system can be shown to be logically coherent and true if one just accepts the truth of the system to begin with, but there is no non-human system we can touch to justify the basic terms of any system.

I recall, about ten years ago, my uncle tim, who at the time was a us senator, one of only 100 in the usa, he was visiting me and it was just he and i, i bugged him all nite, even when he went to the bathroom, and locked the door, i stood outside and talked. We started with politics and ended a long nite with phil and religion, and simply discovered we started at totally different places. therefore no amount of argument could reconcile our many differences. but, in the processof a long, honest, and sometimes angry discussion, we felt a solidiarity that transcended ideology , thru our sincere discussion we found respect and what i like to refer to as rapport. simply put, we made a 'relationship'.

No comments: